3/22/10

Fleet Foxes: How is Seattle So Good at Making Music?

I really can't claim to be on top of the avant garde all the time, especially when we're dealing with anything outside of the music world. But what a beautiful world it is. I don't mean to sound precocious nor cocky in anyway, but my sense of music is good (geneticists have told me that it's coded in my DNA). I mean really what else could I even write about than obscure music. So, for your sake I present to you my first album review.
Unfortunately Fleet Foxes released their self-titled album almost two years ago, which means it's old news for some of you. The disk opens with a echoing chorus of folk voices in pop forms all singing in unison. It's melodically enticing. It's deeper layers of guitars laced in chorus effects invites musical images of as a robust stairwell or elevator shaft. Marching bass drums of the lowest pitch as well as clean hollow bodies medicated with chorus pedals or some sort of hall effect sweeten their only single of the album, White Winter Hymnal.
The overall effect is lightening, especially with the seasonal lyrics of of several tracks including the third track, Ragged Wood. Music often is effective in accompanying weather, and this album is perfect for the evolution of winter into spring. If there were a soundtrack to the beading buds within our domesticated lives, it would say,"Spring is upon us, follow my only song...The world is alive now in and outside our home".
So give it a listen or two; preferably in your car with the sun out and the windows down. If you don't feel like your life is suddenly going in a better direction, well you probably have a disorder and that's just unfortunate.

No comments:

Post a Comment