7/26/10

Adam "The Spider Assassin"


As far as lyrical themes go I thought I had heard it all. Until there was Born Ruffians. I certainly have never heard a song about sibling chore quarrels. Consider your tongue twisted. Chore quarrel. If you don't understand the phrasing I encourage you to look it up, because it's pretty entertaining. Someone aspires to be a hip-hopper. Also the musical concepts are entertaining. On their new release "Say It" there are only two songs where the guitar isn't a clean sound and even then it's not the crunch you're used too. Thank goodness. I'm getting pretty sick of poorly executed over(used)drive. Don't get me wrong, I will never ever get sick of warm fuzzy tube screaming drive, but the processed guitar product garbage of solid state anything is sickening. Born Ruffians is playing out of right field all day with the rest of their structure as well. It's not that it's obscure, it's just not expected. Every track is still fun and interesting to listen to and easy to follow. Their previous release was also from this vein of unpredictable-ness, but a bit more messy and two bits more nationalism-istic (I've included the song I'm talking about called Red, Yellow, Blue). I think I love it.
Also this week (not that I post weekly) included is The Love Language, who I adore, and sounds like more of that low-fi stuff with great melodies. The song "Stars" I listened to nine times in a row once. "Providence" is about July. Also joining us is Tennis who is another married couple and band similar to Mates of State. The music's not quite the same, but you will like it. And to top it of is the lady Laura Veirs, whose new album is all about July. I think this song is perfect for an evening with good friends around a fire pit somewhere in the mountains. Or the plains I guess too, but there would have to be fire flies about. Unfortunately, I will probably remember July 2010 nights and Laura Veirs singing to me on the floor of an 85 degree bedroom, as I try to assassinate the fatty spiders on my walls. Keeps me on my toes though.

No comments:

Post a Comment